tools, construct, craft-864983.jpg


Online Course | Self-paced learning

In NSW, you need an owner-builder permit to supervise or do work valued at over $10,000 on your own home, and you’re not contracting a licensed builder to supervise the work.
If the work is valued at more than $20,000, you also need to complete certain units of competency or have the approved equivalent qualifications and experience.
As an owner-builder, you are responsible for the building work as a fully licensed builder would be.

The NSW Owner Builder course is mandated by NSW Fair Trading and must be delivered by a registered training organisation.
The course has five units of competency which we have grouped into three modules:
1. Work Health and Safety
2. Drawings, Estimating and Cashflow
3. Managing the Work

To be eligible for an owner-builder permit, the development approval must be in respect of a single dwelling-house or a secondary dwelling.
An owner-builder permit is not a building licence. It does not allow you to do:

• Work other than the project covered by the development application or complying development certificate
• Specialist work such as electrical, plumbing, gasfitting, air-conditioning and refrigeration work (unless you hold a licence for such work).

Only one owner-builder permit can be issued within any five-year period unless the application and any earlier permit relate to the same land, or special circumstances exist.

This Statement of Attainment for this course include the following 5 units of competency

CPCCWHS2001 – Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
CPCCOM2001 – Read and interpret plans
CPCCCM1011 – Undertake basic estimation and costing
CPCCOM1013 – Plan and organise work
CPCCOM1014 – Conduct workplace communication

Before you begin your application you will need to have:
• a MyServiceNSW account
• proof of identity
• acceptable documentation showing proof of ownership or long-term lease agreement relating to the land specified in your application

• council rates or water rates notice less than one year old
• Certificate of Title from NSW Land Registry Services
• solicitor settlement letter showing settlement date (cannot be future dated and must be less than 3 months old)
• copy of the lease (minimum 3 years) registered with NSW Land Registry Services.
• estimated cost of the building work for labour and materials
• details of the proposed plans
• a copy of approved development consent (not an application number) such as:
• development approval (DA) from the local council
• complying development certificate (CDC) from the local council or accredited certifier.
• a current white card (general construction induction training card)
• evidence that you’ve completed the owner-builder approved education requirements (or equivalent accreditation) if the value of work exceeds $20,000
• payment for the licence fee.

For further information about licence process see